Greenwashing Makes Me Feel Dirty...

  By jourdan

People For Green Justice

Why does it seem if one does it, they all do it OR they pretend to?  As the “Going Green” campaign has gained popularity we have to examine what popularity turns into in society.  Sometimes something real and meaningful, such as caring for the environment, can be turned into greed, fame and power.  It’s like when everyone starts to follow a fad, but you know who the posers are.  Like McDonald’s Europe changing their logo to green.  They really think we’re stupid.  And I guess they would be right according to their accounting books.

http://enviralment.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/greenwashing.jpg
 
My fear about greenwashing is that it will create a public of distrust which in turn will cause a disservice to the legitimate green movement.  As a consumer I like for my shopping to be made easy.  I’m guessing most people do. When I walk into a store and make the decision between regular cleaner A or green cleaner B, I want to be confident that reading the label is all I need to do to feel secure in my choice.  Finding out that the product is not actually eco-friendly or at least not as eco-friendly as they claim, just sends that cartoon steam out of my ears!  As a public, how are we supposed to make informed decisions if we are being duped by companies at every turn.  And we all know how once you get screwed you don’t forget and everyone else pays for that.  Everyone wants to jump on the green bandwagon and make a buck.  Where is your conscious?  Do you have a family and friends?  How are so many people involved in getting these products and campaigns out to us and they are okay with it?  I know that if I worked at Company X and knew they were putting a product out there and not being truthful, I would report it and blow the case wide open.  I know, I say that, but I’m sure the men in black suits would have me offed immediately.  If any of you have knowledge of greenwashing going on you should let the public know.  Or you can tell me and I’ll blast them.  Remember, you get to stay anonymous with Green Justice!

We can’t be confident in any company claiming to be green without doing our own research first, which sucks because um, I’m busy and if the label claims eco-friendly than I want it to be freaking friendly!  I came across this site where people can post and rate marketing ads that are declaring their newfound “greenness.”  Take a look at how many ads there are.  And if we can’t trust any of them, I’m sad to think we’ll become overwhelmed and return to the ways of not caring because it’s too much work.  I’m not trying to be a downer, just realistic.  You know it’s true.  I’m sad one of the ads is the Audi Green Police, but I totally understand.  I liked the ads and the idea of green police, but it is ironic to have it coming from a car manufacturer.  After the ad aired during the superbowl I checked out their YouTube channel and comments were not praising them at all.  Lots of angry name calling went on.  Guess that didn’t quite work out how they thought.  Oops.  I hope we don’t completely discredit the green movement with greenwashing.  Let’s crack down and let these companies know we won’t stand for it.  If you have a tip, submit a claim today!  Read More Here >>>>

Check out the GREENWASHING INDEX.

The Green Blog Network Greening Hollywood

Posted via web from The Green Blog Network


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment